Sunday, December 17, 2006

I love the holidays, especially this time of year. I love getting together with the family and being a family. It makes you reflect on your life and what is in it.

A few weeks ago, I did "Christmas Baking", which consisted of fudge, peanut brittle, haystacks, and cookies. I loaded it up and delivered it to a bunch of people at school. This is a tradition that I love that goes back MANY a moon. I can remember my lovely mom slaving over the hot stove doing racks of peanut brittle, trays of fudge, and sheets of millionares. All of this would go to the neighbors, friends, and the teachers for my brother and I.

In my new research group, I am the only native graduate student. We have two from India and one from Taiwan. This wasn't necessarily a "Christmas" thing, more of a "goodwill towards men" thing. I didn't hesitate giving each one of them their share of the booty. It took some explaining that it wasn't Christmas or anything. They were in awe...they didn't know what to say. One of the guys told me later that in they four years he had been there, that was the first gift anyone had given him. Makes you feel all warms and fuzzy inside, huh?

For those not curious about my life, here is some knitting!

This is the Brea Bag, side one...or it would be if I could get the light right. I was sifting through patterns I wanted to do and my roommate commented that she loved this one....plus she is a purse person. So, I obliginingly began to knit it up. The first side took about a day-ish in front of the TV. (For more curious folk it took My Fair Lady, Pirates 2, The Devil Wears Prada, and Christmas Vacation.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great story!

Bezzie said...

Aw, that's sweet! (Literally and figuratively!)

I love the way you measure knitting time in movies watched!! Hee hee!