Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Knitting is much cheaper than reading....

Yea, not much knitting today. And here's why.

The Tomato has come along swimmingly and only lacks a sleeve and neck ribbing. I love how the top-down sweater all comes together with the ability to try it on a adjust as needed and there's little to no seeming. However, when you are knitting a wool/acrylic sweater in this manner in the middle of summer, the pile of knitting that ends up in your lap is rather warm. When you get to the part of summer we have come to where you are only comfortable sitting in front of the A/C in your underwear, having a wool sweater in your lap just isn't going to happen.

I did have my week vacation where The Boy and I went to St. George, UT and Bakersfield, CA for his family reunion. Yay for travel knitting! I decided to tempt the knitting gods and start a new project, the Plum Frost Sweater, and just work on the sleeves, especially since I haven't decided whether it's going to be a pullover or cardigan. Nice, small, compact. And with the driving and flying I could possibly get both sleeves done on the trip.

Yea, that didn't happen. Well, I did get about 2/3 of a sleeve done. Sidenote: This was the first time I went through airport security where they didn't take my knitting out and inspect it. huzzah! So how did I pass the time? I read....a lot.

See, I work(ed) at Barnes&Noble for a few years. Been a big reader and this just fed my addiction and increased my usage of said drug. I have gotten to the point of reading 1-2 books a week. I don't always buy the books (library, friends, secret stash) but even with my "free" books, I figured out I spend more money on books than yarn, when you look at the "cost of entertainment" value. Allow me to explain...(knitters already know this because it's how we justify spending $12 on a pair of socks).

Cost of entertainment
2.5 hour movie / $8 ticket = $3.20/hr
10 hours to read a book / $8 book = $0.80/hr
48-60 hours to knit a sweater / $15 = $0.25-$0.30

QED

For those who are fans of reading, I thought I would give you a few of my favorites. I am a big fan of series, so I will list or give links to the reading order for books.

"Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon
By far my favorite books ever...ask anyone. I'm known at my store for getting people addicted to them. There are currently 7 published books in the series (Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross, A Breath of Snow and Ashes, and An Echo in the Bone) with at least one more in the works. The above reading order is important! These books are a mixture of historical fiction, fantasy, time-traveling (a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff) and an all-around great story.

The Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward
I was skeptical about this series (I tend to be with ones in the romance section) but the characters and world that she has developed is phenomenal. It is a contemporary paranormal series with pseudo-vampires (NOT THOSE KIND!!!). Highly fun and enjoyable.

Rachel Morgan Series by Kim Harrison and Harry Dresden Series by Jim Butcher
Paranormal crime-solving series. They are extremely similar but one has a female protagonist and the other has a male protagonist. I personally feel that they are not "girl" books and "boy" books. I am currently in an experiment with a guy from work who lent me the Jim Butcher books. He agreed to read the Kim Harrison books so I can prove this. :D

Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson
Very cool fantasy series that has some elemental science in it that I really enjoyed since I'm a nerdy chemist. I'll admit that I have only read the first one at this point, but I could hardly wait to run out and buy the other two.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
I almost feel embarrassed that it has taken me this long to read these books. They have been around a long while. Classic science fiction that everyone should read.

More to come later....I need to get back to my book....

1 comment:

gilded raspberry said...

I have read all the Black Dagger Brotherhood stories so far, but her writing style is starting to grate on me. I got past the "I added an 'h' to normal words and made a NEW (old) LANGUAGE!" thing, but in her new series about fallen angels, her habit of making up slang terms is just pissing me off. No, dearie, no one calls candles "waxers."

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. :) We should hang out at BN sometime...I'm usually there 2-3 times a week...LOL